In every church you visit, there are two things you must expect. The pastor delivering his message, and the choirs singing. Singing is an integral part of worship, and without the right instrument, it will be hard to reach the heart of the audience.
Sadly, most microphones used by churches these days are of very low quality. They really don’t bring the best out of the choirs. Some are also not designed for frequent use, so they quickly become faulty after using it for a while. If these are some of the issues you’ve been battling within your church, this article is for you.
The goal of the article is to deliver the best microphone for church choir that you should consider buying.
Criteria for Selecting Best Microphone for Church Choir
Buying a microphone is not an easy task. Here are some criteria to consider before purchasing if you will make the best decision:
- Wired/wireless: one of the big decisions you will have to make is either to get a wired or wireless microphone. With a wired microphone, you have no limitation, making it a better option. If you are going for a wired microphone, you should go for one that has long wires.
- Headset or handheld: this is another important point to consider when picking the microphone for your church choir. A headset can be very comfortable, as you need not worry about the stress of holding the mic. Handheld mic, on the other hand, is another beautiful option, it’s best to pick one that is not heavy.
- VHF or UHF: most microphones you see will either use VHF or UHF. Their range differs, but it is best to make use of a UHF microphone for your church choir as it has a higher range compared to VHF.
- Audience: how big is the church? This should influence the type of microphone you will be buying. There is no sense in getting a microphone that won’t be loud enough for the church population.
Read: AKG P220 vs AT 2022
Best Microphone for Church Choirs
1. LyxPro SDPC-2 Stereo Pair of Pencil Condenser Stick Microphones
This microphone features an Omni, cardioid, and super-cardioid pickup pattern that is perfect for the church choir. The microphone has a frequency response of 30Hz-18kHz, and sensitivity of -38dB, no matter the population, the choir voice will reach them all. This microphone is sturdy and designed to capture the voice of your choir while singing.
The microphone is packed with two windscreens, an aluminum carrying case, and two smooth-tilt microphone clips. This makes both using and handling the microphone easier. If you love acoustic instruments, this is the best microphone you can ever use.
2. Audio-Technica Condenser Microphone AT8010
This microphone is another excellent choice for your church choir. You can also use this perfect microphone for group vocals, strings, cymbal, guitar, and piano. The microphone features an omnidirectional polar pattern, which results in providing maximum ambient pickup. This microphone is extremely smooth and delivers unmatched performance. It has extended response both on the on and off-axis.
The microphone has low sensitivity to overload and popping. The length and size of this microphone make it perfect for every choir. It can be placed in their front, and it will still pick the best sound.
3. Samson CM12C Hanging Choir Microphone
How will your choir enjoy singing with their whole mind and soul when they still have to be conscious that if the microphone falls, the play ends? The Samson CM12C mic is designed to eliminate that disturbance. All you need to do is hang the microphone on their heads and watch them perform wonders with this cardioid pickup pattern microphone.
The microphone comes with an XLR connector, a steel hanging positioning bracket, and a 30-foot cable. It features a multistage windscreen and uses a phantom power operation of 9-52 volt, making it easier for the mic to deliver clear audio.
4. Rode M5-MP Matched Pair Cardioid Condenser Microphones
This is a compact ½ inch microphone that features a cardioid condenser, with low noise and full frequency response. This microphone is efficiently finished with RODE’s proprietary ceramic coating, which helps the microphone carry a sleek matt black finish. This microphone features an efficiently elected match pair, which helps in delivering sensitivity that is not higher than 1dB.
This improves the efficiency of the microphone and allows it to provide clear audio. The microphone comes with WS5 windshields, microphone clips and RM5 state-of-the-art stand mounts, you can be sure that you’ll have zero worries handling this microphone.
5. ZaxSound Professional Cardioid Condenser Microphone
This microphone comes with a tripod stand for both laptop and mobile devices. This budget microphone features a high sensitivity cardioid pickup pattern, which helps the microphone pick up sound from the front, eliminating noise from both sides and back. The microphone is built to deliver clear sound to all church members, eliminating background noise.
The design is exceptional, and it is a perfect grip plug and play microphone with a 3.5mm stereo audio jack plug. This microphone is compatible with all devices, which include laptops, iPhones, Android, etc. This makes singing easier for your church choir.
What type of microphone is best for church choir?
Microphones that church choirs can use should possess some specific features. These mics should have long cables, durable and resilient design, and top-notch output. Experts recommend using cardioid condenser microphones for this type of setup.
Are wireless microphones better than wired ones for church choir?
It depends. Both types come with various pros and cons you should consider before purchasing the product. Wireless might be a better option since they are not limited mounting-wise. If you decide to opt for wireless type, consider the range between receiver and mic. On the other hand, Wired mics are similar to the wireless type in terms of sound picking and amplification. They are, however, “messy” when you put them on the stage since cables might bother people that must move around.
What is the ideal number of mics for the church choir?
Getting the right number of mics for church choir can be tricky. It is a big mistake to get as many mics as possible to get quality output. It will cost you more and will not give you the desired effect. Overusing mics can make the equipment squeal due to feedback. A top-notch condenser can ensure a quality output with only a few microphones. With this equipment, you can cover the choir with 40 or 50 people with only 3 or 4 microphones.
How to set up microphones for a choir?
There are several ways you can approach this matter. The first option is to use overhead hanging microphones. This way, you will get high-quality audio without any interference. The next option is setting up matched pair of mics. You do this by putting two same mics and placing them symmetrically in front of the choir. The last option is handheld microphones. The name pretty much says all you need to know – choir members hold these mics in their hands. It still produces quality sound and is a great cost-efficient option.
Which microphone should I purchase for the church choir?
There are various options that you can go for on this one. Before spending money, consider how many microphones does your choir need and what kind of setup you prefer to use. In case you still cannot decide, we recommend LyxPro SDPC-2 Stereo Pair of Pencil Condenser Stick Microphones. It has Omni, cardioid, and super-cardioid patterns. Excellent choice for church choirs and great frequency response.
We have the best microphones for church choir you should consider using for your church. When they have one of these microphones, they have all it takes to thrill their audience and treat them to beautiful melodies. The criteria to consider before selecting are also designed to help you get the perfect microphone for your church choir.
The fact that they come with carrying case stand, and long wires make them perfect for your church choir. All you need to worry about is preparing the choir for the next service.
Since most feature the cardioid polar pickup pattern, they will help prevent noise from affecting the sound quality of each singing session. The Rode M5-MP Matched Pair Cardioid Condenser Microphones is the most expensive of all the microphones delivered in this review. The ZaxSound Professional Cardioid Condenser Microphone, on the other hand, is the cheapest of all products reviewed.
- Tailored frequency response ideal for capturing fast transients above choirs and other ensembles
- CommShield Technology that guards against unwanted RF interference from portable wireless devices (smartphones, etc.) and high resistance to intense...
- Superior Shure design and rugged, dependable construction
- Hi-SPL handling is ideal for suspension over choirs and orchestras
- Wide-range condenser element with low-mass diaphragm for superior performance
- Self-contained electronics eliminate need for external power modules
- Flat, smooth frequency response
- 25' (7.6 m) cable permanently attached between microphone and XLRM-type connector
- TRIPOD MIC STAND WITH MIC MOUNT - KEEP YOUR MIC SAFE: Pro-grade stands for microphones offer top quality designed for stage performances, seminar...
- TELESCOPIC MICROPHONE BOOM ARM, REMOVABLE MIC BOOM ARM: A perfect microphone stand for singing! Thanks to the microphone arm stands efficient design...
- MIC ARM STAND DESIGNED TO LAST: Well-built with extremely durable, steel tubing and polymer resins, these telescoping tripod microphone boom stands...
- RECORDING MICROPHONE STAND THAT’S EASY TO TRANSPORT: Designed with portability in mind, the Griffin Tripod Boom Microphone Stand folds down to a...
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY – All products we sell from laptop stands, recording studio equipment, disc jockey accessories and dj stands, to stage equipment and...
- Available in Black and White
- Miniature, cardioid pattern, choir microphone
- Back-electret condenser element
- 9-52 Volt phantom power
- Includes 10-meter slim profile microphone cable, windscreen, and wire-form hanging adapter
- Miniature hanging Choir Microphone, Condenser element, Cardioid Pickup Pattern
- Mini XLR connector, Steel Hanging positioning bracket, Hardwired 30-foot cable
- Mini to standard XLR connector included
- Multistage windscreen
- 9-52 Volt Phantom Power Operation
- SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY: Adopts Φ 16 high quality headgrille and electric circuit, ensures high sensitivity and ultra-low noise
- INTERCHANGEABLE CAPSULES: Includes cardioid, omni and super capsules for use in virtually most recording situation. You can get the sound you want,...
- WIDELY USE: Widely used for recording studio vocals, acoustic, instruments, strings, horns, orchestras and choral groups, ambient instrument audio,...
- 5/8-INCH MIC CLIP AND WINDSCREEN: Clip Fits most microphone stand with 5/8-inch thread, can firmly hold your microphone in different positions. Foam...
- FOAM PADDED ALUMINUM CASE: Made of durable aluminum, ensures high durability. Foam padded inner can protect your mics and accessories from scratching....