Getting the best mixing console for recording studio is one of the smartest investments you can make as a musician or producer because this will not only make your work easier but will also give you the right instrument to produce masterpiece music.
Mixing music is an art, and it requires not just the skills but the best instruments that will make your job easy and better.
Getting the best mixing console for recording studio is not like a stroll in the park which is why we have analyzed and reviewed the top classed products for the ease of your shopping for your mixing console.
Criteria For Selecting Console For Recording Studio
Choosing the best mixing console readily comes with a big task, and you will have to pay attention to not just the price but many other important factors that will guide you through the process of buying your best mixing console for recording studio.
Durability: The sliders, knobs, and buttons of a mixing console are known to ultimately face lots of work and pressure to the high demand for good music and recordings these days. This is why you have to put on your mind to buy the very best solid make and durable mixing consoles in the market as this will not only make your work easier but will also assure you of a long term use without having to change your console at intervals.
Application: Is your mixing console going to be used to record or for live playing, or do you intend to use it for both.
In the case where the console is used for recording, the mic preamp quality and the ability of your console to connect with external processors are of great importance
If you are using it for live sound, you should make sure your console is compatible with your already existing sound system. You should also make sure the console offers enough sound processing and connectivity that will handle your entire band
Buses and Signal Routing: When it comes to recording these functions may be of high importance. If you do a lot of special purpose mixes such as feeds to recording gear, headphones, external effects mixes, and monitors, you will need to have a more flexible routing and signal capabilities.
Effects and Other Sound Processors: If you rely on external mic preamps, effect pedals or other types of tone tweaking gear to help you produce your most desired sound ahead of your mixer. Then the sound processors and internal mixer effects are less critical. However, getting a mixer with onboard sound processing and effects will be a great tool and will be great for playing live.
Must Read: Midi Controller For FL Studio
Best Mixing Console For Recording Studio
1. Mackie Profx8v2
This is one of the best mixing consoles in the market today and you are guaranteed of getting the best of sounds with this console.
The product offers multiple buttons and slides that will be of great importance to your mixing adventure and you are promised a great output with this mixer.
The size and weight are considered fair, and you will find it easy to carry around.
The design is such that, it comes with a variety of effects that will enhance your musical adventure. The 16 different effects plus the FX effects engine, you are sure to get the best out of your audio. Additionally, the USB port makes it easier to connect with your computer.
2. Allen & Heath Zedi-10FX
This will make your mixing job as easy as you can imagine because it comes with an easy setup process.
The design of this console is compact, and it is given at a very affordable rate. While it is cheap, it still gives the quality of an expensive model.
It comes with an added advantage for guitar lovers as it comes with two guitar channels. The EQs ensure high and quality sound during live performances and mixing. Also, you will love the USB interface makes your mixing job easy.
Additionally, this product makes it possible to secure your microphones with the availability of a three stereo unit. The downside to this is the loud hum in the microphone input.
3. Behringer X air X18
This product is one of the best multifunctional models of a mixing console in the market. The design is new, and it readily attracts buyers.
The availability of a USB interface and an 18 channel feature will make your studio mixing professional and super fast.
It also offers an inbuilt Wi-Fi system that will let you enjoy quick connection to other devices that will make your mixing experience even better. The programmable preamps allows for high sound quality.
If you want a durable mixing console, this is the best option for you in the market as it is designed with a solid construction that will make sure the device stays longer with you as you use.
You can monitor all your work with the touch screen feature, and this brings added control function that will make your work easier.
4. Yamaha EMX5014c
Versatility is one key prowess of this mixing console, and the sound output will also give you goosebumps.
The emx5014c is an exceptional brand from Yamaha, and they are well known for their quality products.
Yamaha didn’t disappoint with this product either, as it is designed with optimum quality and your mixing experience just got better.
The emx5014c is presented with 14 input-powered mixers, an inbuilt effect and two 500 watt amplifiers that will make your mixing so easy and professional.
This product is housed in a sturdy steel finish which makes it strong and durable for use. You can easily set this pack up within seconds without any added stress.
One of the most attractive things about this product is the presence of single knob compressors that will make sure you have total control of the vocals and also maintain the bass tightness.
Finally, you are assured of excellent sound quality with the in-built SPX effects.
5. Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2AI
The PreSonus Sstudiolive 24.4.2AI makes your music mixing very easy. The product can combine both digital and analog which makes you get the best out of this product.
This product offers an analog interface that you can combine with digital power to get the best out of your sounds. However, this requires integration with compatible mixing software.
This product enhances your creativity with its numerous mixing features. It boasts of wireless connectivity to any available network, and it also comes with a multitouch control surface which helps to enhance your personalized settings.
The available signal capabilities help you to receive quality sounds from your chosen channels.
Finally, you will love the wide range of sliders and knobs with the 24 channel input as they will only give you the best mixing experience.
Must Read: Djembe For Beginners
Frequently Asked Questions About Mixing Console
How does a mixing console work?
Staring at your mixing console can sometimes steer up a bit of fear in you considering the amount of sliders and knobs you have to deal with in other to produce the best masterpiece music in the market.
The moment you learn the layout of the mixing console your journey to know how it works has become simple.
Looking at them in detail will make it very easy to follow. You will also need to learn about the layout and the functions of the hardware to prepare you for the software-based mixer. This is because they both use the same signal flow principle and design which helps to consistently sync things across the domains.
What is an Audio Mixer?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions because people tend to mix up the name or think the name indicates the difference. However, a mixing board, mixing console, soundboard, audio mixer and any other name you see are all referring to one device, and it is a mixing console.
So what this does is that it amalgamates your entire pre-recorded file, instruments and parts into one place. This then allows you to switch the parameters of each one as you desire; these parameters are the volume, dynamics and effects, frequency content and stereo position.
With the help of the mixing console, you can bring together all of the separate pieces of your production into one complete recording like mp3, CD, etc.
What are the Types of Mixing consoles Arrangement?
We noticed that mixing consoles could be divided into two major sections and they are: the input section and monitoring section.
The input section allows you to relay the signal that is going to be recorded straight into the mixer.
The monitoring section only allows you to listen to your already recorded work that is the output.
Having known this, you will see that there are two different arrangements on the hardware mixing console and they are:
Split and Inline
The split mixing console presents both of these sections in separate halves of the mixing desk.
In-line consoles are the one that houses the input section and the monitoring sections, and both are inside the channel strip.
Who makes Mixing consoles?
You will find that there are different brands of mixing console manufacturers and some of the most famous ones with the best quality are listed below:
- Allen & Heath
What is the purpose of mixing consoles?
Mixing consoles are used in a studio or home environment to combine, mix, route, the tone, and dynamics of audio signals. It is a very important device for sound recording and reproduction.
Can a mixing console be used as an audio interface?
With modern technology, many new mixing consoles have USB outputs that enable them to work as the audio interface while also being able to send audio to your PC. You can also use XLR, quarter-inch, or RCA cable.
Can I record using a mixing console?
Yes, you can. If you have a two-channel audio interface, this process is possible. All you need to do is connect multiple mics to your mixing console, left and right outputs to input of audio interface you use, and you are good to go.
Can a mixing console improve audio quality?
This is possible in case you have a mixing console that provides you with top-notch reverb, equalizer, and compression. You can also manage this with efficient recording software if you have a good enough interface and setup for signal recording.
What to look for when buying a mixing console?
The most important thing to look for when purchasing a high-quality mixing console is the number of inputs and outputs the device can handle. You should be able to connect multiple microphones alongside other equipment.
How durable is the mixing console?
There is no precise answer to this question. A lot of it depends on how well you maintain your mixer and how much do you use it. With proper and regular maintenance, you should be able to preserve your mixing console between 5 and 10 years, in some situations even longer.
What types of mixing consoles are there on the market?
There is a total of three types of mixing consoles: analog, powered analog, and digital type. All work quite exceptionally, and choosing the appropriate one largely depends on the needs you have.
Which mixing console should I purchase?
You should consider price alongside various other features before spending any money. All products from our list are high-quality and great for studios and home surroundings. If you are not sure which one to go for, we recommend the Mackie Profx8v2. Its size and weight are quite manageable, so it has great portability alongside great output.
To get yourself the best mixing console for recording is not an easy task as we have mentioned above, however, with all the information contained in this review article, we hope you will now find it easy to buy you your most preferred mixing console for recording.
However, you should be sure to pay attention to all the information contained in this article in order to guide against any form of shopping mistake.
- 【Feature】The LCD screen MP3 player can be directly inserted into the U disk to play the song files in it, with a blue-ray LCD screen, which...
- 【High quality】16 mono microphone/line channel inputs, 1 stereo input, with microphone balanced input jacks. With +48V phantom power supply.
- 【Compatible】 The tuner can be connected to various types of audio equipment, which is convenient for use in various occasions, such as power...
- 【Mode】Nature/Pop/Rock/Jazz/Classical/Country, this product needs to be connected to a power amplifier.
- 【Connection】Support wireless bluetooth, USB access, built-in function, support most enabled electronic devices wireless docking, fast docking,...
- This is new 7-channel Bluetooth mixer, built-in wireless Bluetooth, DSP reverberation effect, 3-band equalization adjustment, comes with USB...
- How to make recording work? 1. Long press the rightmost button of the mixer to enter the recording state. 2. Press the play button to start recording....
- The correct way to connect to Bluetooth: 1. Press "MENU" to switch to "BLUE Bluetooth Mode" 2. Turn on the Bluetooth connection of the mobile phone...
- Fully support digital products with audio interfaces, such as mobile phones, computers, etc., without inserting audio cables, and directly connect...
- Suitable for small performances/bands/conferences/home use/Anchor K song/computer recording, etc. If the item does not meet your expectations or the...
- 16-channel mixer, 8 mono and 4 stereo line inputs with phantom power (+ 48V) and microphone preamplifier, 2 displays, MP3 , 16-channel mixer with usb...
- Phantom power switch and PAD switch, G-MARK MG16MP3 studio mixer can use the condenser microphone larger frequency response and higher sound quality....
- Bluetooth mixer - Hassle and cable-free audio streaming ability directly to the console unit. This audio mixer can wirelessly stream music tunes from...
- EQ and high-pass filter, precise tuning tone, the effective means is a reliable balance operation. The G-MARK MG16MP3 mixing console leverages the...
- Audio interface mixer are rugged, impact-resistant powder coated metal chassis. Wavy rounded design facilitates rapid cooling, internal design, the...
- ★【Professional Performance DJ Mixer】Built-in digital effector/single channel 3-segment equalization/USB socket/Bluetooth wireless connection...
- ★【Multi Devices Compatibility】USB/Flash Reader /MP3 or Bluetooth device are very easy to connect this mixer to Mix & record; Built in controls...
- ★【Bluetooth Wireless Audio Streaming】Cable free music streaming ability directly to the consoles. Very easy to wirelessly stream all music tunes...
- ★【Functions】LR main mix;2 Aux sends;Individual phantom power;Channel and master meters;2-Track monitoring and re play to LR;Headphones and local...
- ★【Equipment】Metal jacks, gold-plated XLR, sealed pots and switches, external power adapter power supply, complete equipment you can rest assured...
- Audio Mixer: 3 stage equalization regulate,by adjusting knob to adjust the reverb depth and delay effect.
- Mono/Stereo Channel Input：With +48V Phantom Power Supply, Support Wired/Wireless/Capacitive Microphone Input, High Quality Microphone Amplifier.
- 6 Music Modes: natural, P0P, rock, jazz, classical, country music,equivalent input noise -122dbu, residual output noise < -90dbu.
- LED Indicator Lights: The recording mixer has LED indicator lights and rotary adjustment knobs for user convenience. It has input selection, master...
- Intelligently Compatible Various Equipment: It has complete functions and can be connected with various electronic equipment with audio input...
- 9 Channel DJ Mixer: The mixer is great for multiple devices connectivity because it has 9 channels, 7 XLR microphone and 1/4’’ input each channel....
- Bluetooth Mixer：This portable 9 channel DJ mixer has Bluetooth for wireless streaming and use it as an input to mix signal with other input...
- RECORD AND CONNECT TO PC: This portable audio mixer has a USB soundcard and audio interface to record and connect to MAC or PC and it has universal...
- High Accurate Led Lights and Power Supply:Delicate LED peak level indicator, and ultra musical 3 band EQ on all channels; For reliable power source,...
- Ultra-thin and Rugged Chassis: With only 1.6 inches thin design, sealed rotary controls to resist dust, great experience of touching to use this pc...
- Tascam 24-Track Digital Portastudio