Hand drumming is exciting. As a starter, you will love to have the best hand drum for beginners. Getting this may be difficult as there are so many alluring hand drums to buy at the start or before your training. With a large variety of hand drums on the market, there is confusion about which to purchase and what is best.
Almost all regions in the world have their associated primary hand drums. Djembe in Africa, Pandeiro in Brazil, Conga in Cuba, the Table in India, and many more. The options are limitless, and this can truthfully make players confused about what they choose.
Each of these types of drums has their individual qualities, and some are very unique. In this review, we will be considering some of the essential factors to consider when selecting a hand drum. We will also explore the five best hand drums for beginners you can pick from.
Criteria for Selecting The Best Hand Drum for Beginner
Based on the diversities of hand drums available in the world, it is best to consider essential factors that will help make the selection easy and more precise like;
Play Location: one of the critical factors that influence your choice is where you will be playing. There are certain hand drums designed for playing outdoor, while there are some designed for playing indoor. The sound quality differs; hence, you must choose one suitable for the location you will be playing.
Hand drum skin: the hand drum skin is another factor to consider for drummers. Some are designed for soft and fragile hands. Some surfaces are suitable for all playing hands. Djembes and congas have skins that can easily be played by beginners.
Material: you can either pick natural materials or synthetic materials. Natural hand drum material produces warm and round tones, it can easily be affected by the environment and climate, and it is less durable overall. Synthetic materials on the other hand are not susceptible to climate change, and it produces bright and sharp tones.
Tuning: hand drum types have different ways of adjustment. Tuning helps bring out the right tone and sound in your hand drum. Some tunings are easily done with ropes while some make use of metal lugs.
Best Hand Drum for Beginner
1. Conga Drum 11″ + Stand – RED Wine – World
Beginners need hand drums that are playable and easy to handle. This hand drum is very easy to handle; it has a playable hard surface with an outside ring diameter of 13.5 inches.
The drum has an overall height of 28.25 inches. For easy tuning, the drum has 5 adjustable tuning lugs; this makes it easier for beginners to test out different tuning effects. The hand drum produces nice and sweet midrange tones, which are poppy and not harsh.
2. Meinl Djembe with Mahogany Wood
This is another 10 inches medium-sized hand drum perfect for both hand drum beginners and experts. It is carved from solid mahogany; this helps the drum produce rich acoustic properties which range from deep, resonant bass notes to cutting and high-pitched slaps.
The surface is made with goatskin. This helps it create djembe sound, which is warm and produces cutting tones. The hand drum has an overall height of 20 inches, which makes it perfect for beginners, young musicians, and adults. The drum is equipped with heavy-duty nylon and comes with a sturdy shoulder strap.
Read Also: Best Kick Drum Mic
3. Lp Lpm198 Mini Tunable Wood Conga Natural
Beginners need to get the right tune out of their hand drum. This drum is designed in such a way that it can easily be tuned to produce the best results without stress. This drum is made from Siam oak; it also features mini comfort curve II rims.
The drum comes with natural rawhide heads that are unaffected by climate change and produces sharp and bright tones. Since the hand drum is tuneable, the sounds produced are of rich and high quality. The hand drum has an overall weight of 3.05 pounds, and a dimension of 11.5*7.5*7.5 inches.
4. African Drum, Hand-Carved Bongo Congo Djembe Drum
This is a standard-sized hand drum with a size of 9.5 by 20 inches. This hand drum is popular and used by middle schools, and beginners irrespective of age. This drum is versatile and portable, so playing becomes easier when using this drum. The head size is sufficient for achieving bass, tone, and slaps. The head is made with genuine goatskin, which is thin and produces sharp sounds with few overtones.
With steel rings, the skin is tightened down for better sound delivery. It features a hand-painted design that makes it look attractive, and it is carved out carefully from solid pieces of mahogany.
5. Deco 79 89847 Wood Leather Djembe Drum
This hand drum is designed for playing music, it is best for all beginners and help bring the best out of every playing session. It has a fantastic height of 16 inches, a width of 9 inches, which makes it suitable for beginners and young hands.
The drum has shoulder straps that make carrying easier.
The surface is made of leather, which helps the drum produce a warm and beautiful sound.
In this review, we have done well in identifying and highlighting criteria that should be considered when selecting hand drums. We have seen some of the best hand drums for beginners, which are all designed to make playing more natural and enjoyable.
Try out the Meinl Djembe with Mahogany Wood hand drum to have a unique and beautiful playing experience. The African Drum, Hand-Carved Bongo Congo Djembe Drum is another good option; it is cheap and very easy for beginners to handle; they can also tune it to fit their style. Good enough all these drums are offered at affordable prices, and they help prepare and sharpen your playing skills.
Here are some other great instruments available on Amazon right now:
- GENUINE GOATSKIN DRUMHEAD: The jembe drum with a genuine goatskin drum head, the thinner skins have a sharper sound with fewer overtones in the slaps...
- EXQUISITE HANDCRAFTED: Our bongo congo drum carved from one solid piece of mahogany by skilled artisan, features in high hardness and density. We...
- STANDARD SIZE: The hand drum measures 9.5''x20'', is popular among grade, middle schools and new beginners because of its versatility and portability....
- HAND-CARVED DESIGN: The base section of djembe drum with hand-carved flying elephant pattern and other tradditonal element, a symbol of luck and best...
- 5-STAR POST-SALE: Aklot African drum offers 45 days satisfaction and quality warranty, please feel free to contact us for a solution if you have any...
- Authentic Skin Heads
- Chrome Hardware
- Head Size: 7 inches and 8 inches
- Natural Gloss Finish
- Includes Padded Carry Case and Tuning Key
- 7" Diameter x 16" high
- LP's Exclusive HD Shell Construction with reinforced bearing edge
- Synthetic Perfect-Pitch head
- Ever-Tune Rope
- Superior durability in all weather climates
- LIGHT AND PORTABLE: the Meinl Darbuka (sometimes called Middle-Eastern goblet drum) is easy to carry around and play while delivering a wide tonal...
- WHY IT MATTERS: it's perfect for bringing to drum circles, gigs, or classrooms if you don't want to carry heavier, bulkier drums; the variety of tones...
- DRIVING THE SOUND: made with a cast aluminum shell and weather-resistant synthetic head for consistent sharp tone; this combination of materials has a...
- ZOOM IN: the exterior decoration is engraved by hand and looks beautiful on display; there will be slight variations in the hand made design, making...
- OF NOTE: comes with a tuning key to make quick pitch adjustments; you can also unscrew the tension rods completely to change heads in moments
- ♫【The Exquisite Product 】Our steel tongue drum is designed with a lotus flower pattern. The surface color is baking painted with long lasting,...
- ♫【Wider Range】With a diameter of 14 inches (about 35cm), this steel tongue drum has 15 natural scales (f # 3-F # 4) and can play more diverse...
- ♫【Wide Applications】Beautiful design, easy to learn and to carry enable its wide uses, such as in leisure, yoga meditation, music performance,...
- ♫【Packing Accessaries】steel tongue drum * 1 , drumstick * 2, Drumstick bag * 1,Dedicated carrying bag*1 , Replace sticker * 1, drumstick bracket...
- ♫【After-sale Guarantee】30 days of exchange or return if you are not fully satisfied with our product.
- All frame drums are equipped with a Remo drumhead and are manufactured with Remo's patented Acousticon shell
- LEARN TO PLAY IN MINUTES: just sit down on it and tap with your hands to explore bass and snare drum sounds; this cajon (box drum) is a perfect...
- WHY IT MATTERS: a lot of fun musical adventures don't require time-consuming practice on a drum set; with the Meinl Jam Cajon, you can play acoustic...
- BE SMART: we craft this cajon in Europe from 100% Baltic birch wood, which also used in high-end drum sets for players serious about sound; made with...
- HOW IT WORKS: the Baltic birch playing surface delivers punchy bass tone with about as much volume as an acoustic guitar, and inside the cajon are two...
- BY THE NUMBERS: it measures 10 1/4" W x 15" H x 10 1/4" D and weighs 6lbs; its compact size is easily portable without shortchanging sound quality,...